Single-use is OUT and Sustainability is HERE to STAY!
Did you know that 8 million tons of plastic end up in our oceans each year? It has become very evident that we have a BIG trash problem on our hands, but there’s no single solution and it’s easy to point fingers in blame. Instead, let’s be proactive and reflect back on how WE personally can do our part to reduce single-use plastic!
Plastic Free July is a month-long, global run, annual campaign that raises awareness of our growing plastic waste problem. It originated in Australia in 2011 and has had a tremendous impact on the world in raising awareness about the impact that single-use plastic has on our environment and introducing greener living solutions.
Read more about it here.
Here at All Day Fit, we believe in a well-rounded lifestyle, which includes living sustainably! Have you been thinking about taking the steps into living a greener lifestyle, but not sure how to start? Join us in the movement, raise awareness and give back to our Mother Earth.
HERE ARE 9 WAYS TO GET STARTED:
1. Use Reusable Bags: One can never have enough Totes! They’re perfect to have in your bag and use on the go. From groceries to travel items, they are an essential part of a greener future. All Day Fit ones launching soon!
2. Switch the Reusable Straws: By 2020, single-use plastic straws will be eliminated in more than 29,800 locations around the world. If you’re someone who enjoys drinking a beverage out of a straw, try a stainless version and bring your own!
3. Water Bottle: Our bodies are made of 60% water- woah! The average adult should be drinking about 8 cups of water a day. Bringing a water bottle along with you will ensure you keep your body well hydrated while saving the earth from plastic waste as well. Word on the street is, All Day Fit ones are on the way!
4. Bring Your Own Cup: Did you know that coffee cups are NOT recyclable? The average North American consumer drinks roughly 3.1 cups a day… with a population of 579 million… that’s a lot of waste. Try bringing your own cup next time you head to your local barista. They may even offer you a discount!
5. Use Reusable Produce Bags: When shopping, instead of reaching for a plastic bag that will simply end up in a landfill, try bringing your own reusable bag and help reduce the amount of single-use plastic. Try organic cotton, washable and sustainable one found here!
6. Choose To Eat More Ethically: The meat industry has a large environmental impact on our planet. Choosing free-range and supporting local farmers is a great start. One can also reduce their consumption and ensure to eat more plants as well.At All Day Fit we’re huge supporters of TruLocal. Use code ‘STRONGACADEMYVIP’ for $25 off your first order.
7. Try a Bamboo Toothbrush: Professionals recommend changing your toothbrush every 3-4 months and with 7.4 billion people in the world, that adds up to a lot of (usually plastic) brushes in our landfills and oceans. Do YOUR part and go for a plant-based, biodegradable and organic bamboo toothbrush instead.
8. Switch to Soap Bars: All natural soap bars are a great waste and chemical free product that you can have in your home and give as a lovely gift!
9. Buy secondhand clothing: Not only will this save you money, but it also reduces the amount of textile waste. A lot of chemicals and water go into making new clothing and by choosing to reuse pre-loved clothing, we are reducing the amount of wastage in our environment!
Thank you for reading and look for more eco- inspo to come this July!!
All Day Fit Intern & Eco-Enthusiast