Everyone brought those thinking caps to trivia this past Tuesday and it was a success. Together we raised $3200 in donations in support of Cystic Fibrosis Canada!
Our very own coach Skylar was first diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis (CF) at the age of 16 and ever since, she has been on a mission to bring awareness, education and raise funds in hopes that one day CF will stand for “Cure Found’.
We had the opportunity to hear from 2 other members from the CF community and how CF has impacted their life. If you missed it or like to rewatch – please see a snippet of their story here. Skylar wanted to show how different this disease can progress and vary from person to person.
Want to retest your Cystic Fibrosis Trivia? Check below to replay:
1. CF causes various effects on the body. What are the 2 main systems that are primarily affected by CF?
Answer: Lungs, Digestive system
2. True or False, Cystic fibrosis (CF) is the most common fatal genetic disease affecting Canadian children and young adults.
3. If both parents carry the CF Gene, what percentage do they have that their child will have CF?
Answer: there is a 25 percent chance that the child will be born with cystic fibrosis
4. What is the nickname for Cystic Fibrosis?
Answer: 65 Roses
5. If you were to lick someone’s arm who has CF, you will taste?
- A sweet taste
- Their arm
6. True or False, people who have CF can’t be within 6 feet of each other?
7. Everyone with CF is different. Many of us have different gene mutations or issues with our CF. How many gene mutations are there?
Answer: Over 1,700 gene mutations for CF patients.
8. Ture or false, People with CF who have successful double-lung transplants are cured of cystic fibrosis.
Answer: False, There are still problems because of the effect of CF on the overall body[/vc_column_text][divider line_type=”No Line”][image_with_animation image_url=”11459″ alignment=”center” animation=”Fade In” border_radius=”none” box_shadow=”none” max_width=”75%”][divider line_type=”No Line”][vc_column_text]9. What X-ray shows CF Lungs?
If you enjoyed the FUCF Spritzer we made together and would like to recreate it, please see the recipe below:
- 1/4 Cup Blackberries, about 6
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 ounces Gin
- 3 ounces Soda Water
- Equipment: Muddler, 1, 8 oz glass
Cucumber Mint Simple Syrup
- Mix equal parts sugar & water in a small saucepan
- Simmer gently for 3-4 minutes until sugar is dissolved
- Place 4-6 mint leaves and ½ cucumber roughly chopped in a bowl
- Pour the dissolved sugar water in the bowl with the mint & cucumber, steep for 30 minutes
- Strain syrup through a mesh sieve and store in the fridge in an airtight container
- Place the blackberries and lemon juice in a cup and muddle until berries are broken down.
- Mix in about 5 teaspoons of the simple syrup into the mashed berries. If you prefer a sweeter drink add an additional 1-2 teaspoons of syrup to your drink.
- Next, mix in gin and fill the glass with ice. Top drink off with about 3 oz of water and gently mix everything with a spoon.
Garnish with mint and enjoy!
Thank you to all of you who have brought awareness, signed petitions, donated, it’s because of you, we have been able to make progress on treating this chronic illness and we couldn’t have done it without.