Growing up in a Ukrainian family and soon to be married into an even more Ukrainian family, it was about time that I start mastering these Ukrainian recipes. Borscht is a traditional soup made with beets, cabbage and well… quite frankly whatever you want to put inside!
I often forget how much variety and nutrients you can get just from a bowl of soup. Beets contain high amounts of folate, improve your blood pressure, are great for liver cleansing and can even improve your stamina (goes to grab second bowl of borscht). I swear when you eat this soup you will actually taste the health benefits.
Prep Time – 30 minutes
Cook Time – 45 minutes
Servings – 6-8
- 3 Beets (peeled and shaven)
- 1 medium Onion
- 3 Carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 Baking Potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4 cups Beef Broth (or broth of choice)
- 1/2 Green Cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 can of Pinto Beans
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves (Pressed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Dill (chopped)
- 4 Tbsp high heat cooking oil
- Peel all the vegetables and prep as needed. I like to shred the beets through a food processor to minimize the mess, set all the of them aside. In a large pan on medium/high heat, drizzle the pan with oil and add in the onion and beets and saute for 10-12 minutes until they are softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on high heat, add the broth with 6 cups of water and toss in the potatoes and bring to a boil. Once they are almost cooked through add in the carrots and garlic. In saute pan, once the beets and onions have softened add in the tomato paste and mix all together. Add mixture into the pot and stir well.
- Add in the bay leaves, beans, cabbage white vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Bring it down to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. Finish the soup with fresh dill and/or parsley and serve with Greek Yogurt and additional dill. Store in fridge up to a week.
For weeks I've been craving Asian noodles and I finally conquered my craving. I also might have eaten the entire…
One of my favourite challenges from 2018 with All Day Fit was our September Self-Love challenge. For me, it was…
BINGO BANGO BOOM- WHAT A YEAR…we mean month! But if you followed along, you’d notice that many of the check…
As I write this, I am cat sitting in the condo of a very dear friend of mine, having just…